Parks Victoria wanted a head office that spoke to its focus as an organisation – Healthy Parks, Healthy People. The location alongside Albert Park Lake created opportunities to connect the building to the natural environment. Use of raw, natural and innovative materials, fresh air, daylight and high resource efficiency were considered vital.
Victoria's 4 million hectares of parkland helps sustain our environment, delivering biodiversity, health, liveability and economic benefits. HIP V. HYPE Sustainability worked with Archier and Harrison & White to create a healthy, productive and beautiful office for Parks Victoria.
By being involved in the project from the early stages, we drove the integration of key sustainability objectives:
- Passive design to maintain year-round comfortable internal temperatures
- Use of healthy materials such as paints
- Lower running costs through use of efficient fixtures and fittings
- ‘Zero Net Energy’ target, meaning that the building produces as much energy as it consumes
- Minimise consumption of natural resources and impacts through all stages
The building is expected to save over $13,000 on annual utility costs, reduce annual carbon emissions by 56,000kg and save over 205,000 litres of potable water through rainwater capture and storage. Above all, the building is expected to be a healthy environment to work in.